View Single Post
Old 08-12-10, 07:08 PM
aprilstarchild

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports, 1985 Miyata two-ten, 1995 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was for my first "real" tour, nine days in the Olympic Peninsula with my boyfriend! He's been bike-touring a few years longer than me.

My loaded bike:

The bike itself: 1985 Miyata two-ten (or as I like to put it, the introductory touring bike of 1985!), but now it's got 18 speeds. Hell, a lot of the components have been swapped out. Obviously. And mustache handlebars aren't ideal for touring (oy, my poor wrists some days) but having the wide stance feels really good on long/steep descents. I'm a (recovering) nervous descender, so that's really important to me. I'm sure I'll go back to drop bars some day...and maybe get bar-end shifters, having such a tall stem when I have downtube shifters can be a small hassle.
Handlebar bag: OMG. How did I ever live without one of these? It's so nice to be able to reach stuff whenever I want. Like food (it's fun to snack while riding). Or a map. Anyway, my boyfriend got it for me for $8 at Next Adventure, a secondhand store here in Portland. It's gotta be at least 20 years old.
Two Axiom bags. One of them is, no exaggeration, entirely food. I was so worried that I wouldn't find anything to eat out there (I'm vegan)!
Thermarest
Sleeping bag I bought at Next Adventure 10 years ago when I started tree-sitting. It's really warm. Like, way too warm for summer camping when you're sharing a small tent.

Future plans: Figure out how to get a front rack on there, and get some front bags (and smaller rear ones) so I can even out the weight distribution.
Smaller air mattress and sleeping bag
Eventually, I plan to get a Surly LHT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olympic Peninsula 003..jpg (98.3 KB, 353 views)