Old 08-16-10, 12:50 PM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I played myself in this weekend's race. A little noob racer story.

I entered my 2nd race on saturday, a 24-mile, 4-lap Central Park Race.
I felt very strong going into this one, compared to the first one when i was just thinking i'd get dropped on the first lap. I ended up screwing that one up on the 5th lap by attacking on a hill, getting a big leadout, but burning out. Noob mistake.

For the first three laps, I found it very easy to keep up with the ~24mph average pace. There were a few teams (i'm not on a team) at the front of the pack that would attack occasionally for short periods just to mess with people. I stayed with them, and it seemed to annoy them, but whatever.

By the end of the third lap i was just plain BORED. i forgot what i was doing for a while and had to remind myself i was racing. i caught myself whistling.

On the 4th lap, the pace picked up but it didn't get crazy. i felt like i hadn't been working hard, and i had a lot left. so planned to stay by the front until a good time (not that i have enough experience to know what a "good" time would be) when i would attack. the field got panicky and i ended up moving to the front, and things started to slow down, oddly.

soon i had a small leadout even though i wasn't trying. so i was like "oh well" and just went for it. you can guess how this ends - i burned out, got caught, got passed, got trapped on the inside unable to move back up, and had to struggle to finish in the middle of the pack.

Now, I'm overall happy with my performance, considering i haven't done anything physically competitive since high school, it's my first season riding a road bike, AND i have managed to avoid crashing.*

any insight is welcome

*CRASH NOTE: there was a big crash in this race. apparently one of the guys who crashed broke his arm, but was still sliding on the pavement down a hill, so he was just tumbling and screaming. eek.