View Single Post
Old 08-17-10, 11:45 AM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pharasz
Just don't expect kudos from your doctor if he looks at a BMI chart. My weekly workouts are: 130 miles cycling, 10 miles running, 7,500 yards swimming, 60 minutes weight lifting. Altogether it adds up to a little over 10 hours per week of exercise. I weigh 190 LBS, but at six feet in height I am borderline obese. My doctor told me I needed to lose weight. When I tell my friends that they are dumbfounded. The response I typically hear is "Lose weight WHERE?"
If you're even a little more muscular than the average human, BMI is worthless. Pay it no mind. Ever had your bodyfat percentage checked? That's the good stuff there.

I've lost more than 100 pounds two different times (lost it, gained it back, lost it again), but I've spent the last few years taking several steps forward and several steps back. Now I'm going forward - have lost seven pounds in six days. It's water weight, though, right now - once you figure out how your body responds to things, it's easy to gauge how much weight you're gonna gain or lose in a particular day.

Anyone who's read any sort of weight-loss tips probably knows this, but one little tip for anyone looking to lose weight: With the possible exception of milk, do not drink calories. Sugared sodas? A waste. Juice? A waste. Eat fruit. More filling, more fiber. Gatorade? Really? Eat food. It's more filling. And look for stuff with lots of fiber. If you can manage to eat plain broccoli (I can't stand the taste of it), you're halfway there.