View Single Post
Old 08-17-10, 01:26 PM
bhdavis1978

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just calculated my BMI (6'0, 218 lbs as of this morning)- first time in a long time- 29.6- so I'm out of the obese category. I calculated that I'd need to get down to 185 in order to be a 'normal' weight, so I guess maybe that's my new, long term goal. Right now my goal is to get to say 200-205 range by November, when I have to stop commuting to work by bike. At that point I will probably buy a bike trainer- something by Kurt Kinetic, and keep doing it indoors.

I ride 70 miles per week to and from work, and then another 20-30 miles per week in group rides. I'd like to get that up to 40-60 miles per week in group rides, but it hasn't happened yet. I met a guy at one group ride, and we're going to start riding together in the evenings and on weekends, so hopefully I'll be able to add another 20-40 miles / week in.

I've tried to really cut back on the amount of pop I drink- it's one of my three big vices. I don't drink much alcohol (no alcohol most weeks). I also eat junk food when hanging out at home watching TV, so I'm trying to cut that back a bit too.

I should quit smoking too, but I don't really have any plans to. I am bipolar, and I have tourette syndrome, and a lot of problems with managing anxiety. Smoking is one of the few things I can do to keep myself from panicking when it gets bad. I've spent years on various prescriptions: prozac, zoloft, paxil, serzone, welbutrin, haldol, seroquel, lorazepam, clonazepam, etc (not all of them at the same time though). They varied in their degree usefulness in terms efficacy and side effects. Some of the combinations of medications were really good at stabilizing my mood swings and anxiety, but basically turned me into a robot (I didn't feel anything, which wasn't pleasant, or unpleasant- it just was). I suppose that's not entirely true, cause the benzo's did work well on the anxiety, but then I had a problem with taking too much of it.

I did quit one time, and I tried to manage my stress by exercising more- and that works, to a point- but I always had to constantly work out longer, and harder, to maintain the stress relieving benefits. e.g. At one point I was up to working out 3 hours per day (1.5 hours in the morning, 1.5 hours in the evening) doing a combination of running, rowing, weight lighting, and aerobics classes, and eventually that wasn't even enough. After I'd been exercising for 15-20 minutes, I'd start to feel 'better', and then I'd feel pretty good for 30 minutes to an hour after I finished working, but then it'd creep in again, and I'd feel terrible. Smoking really helps. I smoke less than a pack a week, and while it may reduce my lifespan, it makes my life way more livable and enjoyable.