Old 08-17-10, 07:13 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jeebusaurousrex
Here's my contribution and I think the first SRAM equipped old frame on this thread:

1986/87 Schwinn Circuit from ebay. Came almost completely stock and spotty surface rust. My buddy and I sanded down the troubled spots and he sprayed model enamel paint (black is easy). Took a chance and used acrylic clear coat. Holds up okay, but definitely not meant for vehicle applications!

Main frame is Columbus SL tubing with Tange Aero fork and chromed stays. We had fun and simi-chromed the snot out of the head tube lugs.

List of specs:
Cinelli stem & bars (stock)
Tange alloy headset (stock)
Suntour Sprint cranks & bb (stock)
Front wheel: Suntour Sprint hub & Araya aero rim (stock)
Rear wheel: Shimano 600 hub & Mavic CXP33
Reissue San Marco Rolls
SRAM Rival brifters, brakes, derailleurs, 1071 chain, 1070 cassette
Yokozuna front brake cable (leftover from friend's build, works great)
Shimano 105 spd-sl pedals
Rubino Pro tires
Fizik tape

Front shifting from small to big is dicey without a ramped chainring so that will be my next purchase. Need to soft pedal to shift, but I can't race until next season so no biggie.

Rear shifting is perfect. SRAM makes quality stuff and pretty cheap as far as new parts go compared to Shimano and Campy. Their RD design alone is worth it.

Huge pet peeve: One of the crank dust cap is missing. Anyone have a spare and won't put a ridiculous price tag on it?
i love this build. i hope you are just going to update the rings and not the cranks.

i may have a generic shimano or sr dust cap set laying around