View Single Post
Old 08-17-10, 07:51 PM
buelito
train safe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when I saw the title of this post, I thought it was riding fixed off road (which I have seen...) I got into riding fixed about 6 years ago. I have over 20,000 miles on my fixed gear-- it has two brakes and I ride exclusively on the road. I have done centuries, double metric centuries and Ride the Rockies in COlorado (including Independence Pass) on the fixie. The worst part was going down hill... that's what the brakes are for-- to slow down so you don't spin out. I know what it is like to go 38 miles an hour on a 48x18 setup. That is spinning close to 140rpm... not healthy and not very safe. I have to laugh at people who complain they need an 11 tooth cog because they're spinning out on their 53x13--at 40 miles per hour.

The fixed gear bike is my main commuter. It is a KHS flight 100-- steel, frame with really crappy headset and bottom bracket (switched out within the first 6 months). I have changed the fork to a carbon fork and added the brakes fore and aft. It is a lot of fun to ride. I do hope to get on a track someday--and when I grow up, would like to learn how to do a track stand--and do a backwards circle. Maybe that's just dreaming, but someday...

train safe-