In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Spire
He said he was on a budget...
Yes, exactly ... which is why I made the suggestion I did.

There's an Aliante saddle on sale at Nashbar for $120.

But, from Nashbar, the OP could pick up Conti Ultrasport tires (I've used them for years, and I find them decent) for $23, plus his choice of shorts on sale at Nashbar for under $30, plus he could experiment with various saddles for under $30, all for under $100.

Nashbar is just one example of a source for these things. I've also used MEC, which has some decent prices, and various bicycle shops when they put something on sale.

The OP could visit various bicycle shops in his area, and check to see if they have The Box of Saddles and then try some of the saddles from there. Many bicycles shops have The Box of Saddles - a collection of saddles they are selling at deeply discounted prices. I bought a saddle from The Box of Saddles many years ago for $14 and rode two 1200K randonnees on it plus a whole lot of other riding. The bicycle shops may even let him buy a saddle, try a saddle for a week or so, and if he doesn't like it, he can return it.

It's a gradual approach ... get something a bit better so that the cyclist can ride more comfortably, ride it for a while ... and when the cyclist has more money available, then upgrade to the really nice stuff as desired.

Last edited by Machka; 08-18-10 at 02:40 AM.