Old 08-19-10, 11:41 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSpalding
Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

Nope. I'm building an ultralight city bike based on a Merlin Road.
GAH! I keep forgetting that the fronts are enough different in pull and cage curvature that they don't work well. Thanks for keeping me honest Jeff.

Having been through the light city bike idea with a couple of commuters I never quite found that I had the hand and wrist comfort I wanted with the straight across lightweight MTB bars. Then I found, bought and soon came to love my Redline 925 with bullhorn bars. The forward extensions make for comfy wrist angles, the brake levers right there under your fore finger for those frequent city required panic stops. the curl up at the end makes for a great hold with my fingers wrapped forward and up around the lever tip when I need to climb or sprint and when you want to cruise the straight inner cross part provides a nice sit up angle. All in all I found that I just could not beat them.

In fact they've worked SO nicely that the aluminium with carbon rear stays frame that I recently picked up for a song is going to be built up as my own two wheel "sports car" using bullhorns and TT levers with some sort of centered shifter setup in near the stem unless I can find the right TT levers that let me install bar end shifters in the bars. I know this isn't as "aero" as drop bars but my body just doesn't like to bend over that way and still let me breath decently. Meanwhile the bullhorn crouch with me reaching forward and arching my shoulders and back up instead of down to reach the drops opens my chest up and let's me breath a LOT better.

As always YMMV and it's your bike and your dream. But keep the bullhorn option in mind if you find your wrists bothering you at some point with the new ride.