View Single Post
Old 08-19-10, 01:27 PM
riddei
Needing more power Scotty

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whether agreeing with the merits of this case or not, the outcome of this is very important for all cyclists (Texas and beyond). In this case, there was arguably an improved shoulder where he could have ridden. If the case was "does he have the right to ride in the travel lane", then yes, the decision should be decided that he did have the right. However, IF the case was "should every cyclist use the travel lane when there is an adequate shoulder", then you get the results of the decision found here.

However, we are now on a slippery slope. If there was a similar road without an adequate shoulder, and the cyclist is in the travel lane, can that cyclist be sited? This is really scary!

If a bike lane puts a cyclist in the door zone, and the cyclist chooses to travel outside of a bike lane, will they be charged? I ride decidedly outside of the door zone, bike lane or not. Citizen motorist says: "my taxes pay for a bike lane here, and this guy isn't using it, I'm dialing 911". The cop responds and says "I'm citing you for your own safety".

Not good.