In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Have you been to the winter forum yet?
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...Winter-Cycling

June 2009 I opted to move away from snow and cold. I moved from the Canadian Prairies to Australia.

However, for many years before that I kept fit during the Canadian winters in a variety of ways.

-- I rarely lifted weights during the summer, but starting in about October until about April, I lifted regularly. Sometimes I took gym memberships to do that, and for a while, I had a fairly good gym set up in what would have otherwise been my dining room, but I repurposed it. Even here in this part of Australia, winters are cool and wet and windy and dark ... so we've been setting up a gym in our garage, and I've been lifting again.

-- If I did go to the gym, I would also ride the stat bikes, run on the treadmill, and use the rowing machine. I particularly enjoyed the rowing machine ... gave me a good cardio workout and helped me build my upper body.

-- I enjoyed outdoor winter sports such as cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. They provided some nice variety to cycling all the time.

-- I walked ... put on heavy winter boots and did a brisk 3-5 km hike along unshovelled sidewalks 5 days a week. My calves were like steel!! Here I walk about 3 km a day 5 days a week to and from work, and even with lighter footware and no snow, my calves are developing nicely.

-- I attended yoga classes. Winter is a good time to increase the flexibility.

-- I attended spinning classes. If you get into a good spinning classes (one where they do not do silly things like "jumps"), they can be a really good workout! I also enjoyed them because they got me out of the house and into the company of other people a couple evenings a week ... good for the motivation. I wish they had a spinning class in the town were I live now!! Also, a couple of my spinning classes were in the local community recreation centre, so I would do the spinning class and then run on the treadmill for half an hour and lift some weights ... make an evening of it.

-- I ride the trainer (I have a fluid trainer) inside. If I were attending spinning classes 2 days a week, I would ride my trainer several other days a week.

-- And I would ride outside on weekends. If the roads were really icy or a blizzard was blowing, I would stay inside, but otherwise, I would bundle up and head out. Sometimes I rode my mtn bike, but if the roads were in decent shape, I'd ride my usual road bicycle. I actually find it harder to motivate myself to get outside here when it's cool and rainy than I did when it was very cold in Canada.