View Single Post
Old 05-05-05, 02:10 PM
scooper836

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too expensive

I just bought a $1100 roadbike and have the sudden realization that bicycles are overpriced.

Its my opinion that no bike should cost more than $1000. I think the R&D costs are exaggerated and overplayed as a reason to justify the costs. The explanation of engineers working magic on aluminum or carbon is nonsense. It can't be that difficult. Once designed, the manufacturing process amounts to welding together 10 pieces of metal tubing. Throw in components, wheels, tires, seat, bars, all of which can be made in China for cheap. I figure it should never cost more than $500 to make a bike.

When I go to Dicks sporting goods and see 30 mountain bikes all <$400, some with full suspension, aluminum frames, and 27 speeds, I wonder how a >$1000 roadbike can be justified. Seriously, the higher quality bikes most of us have bought are better, but not THAT much better.

If you look at a $600 bike vs. a $2000 bike you see bits of carbon fiber, smoother shifters, and slightly lighter weight components. Its certainly better. There is no way its $1400 better.

So, how much R&D money does Trek or Cannondale spend? How much does it really cost to make a bike? Why do we pay so much? Afterall, its just a bicycle for cripe's sake.