Old 08-23-10, 07:40 PM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help so far guys - this is an ongoing learning process.

Originally Posted by Issaquatch
I'm no expert, but --> How fresh were you when you tested your 1 minute power? You rely heavily on neuromuscal strength and anaerobic power for the really short efforts, so it is really important to be fresh to get an accrurate result. I'd just wait until after your next rest day or two and then re-test it.

Well, for the prescribed workout, I was pretty well rested ( I think ) - I was off the bike for 2 days. I pretty much followed the workout as outlined in the book I'm using ( Training And Racing With A Power Meter ). I did mess up the 1min test initially, but rested ~10mins ( 70% of FTP ) and then re-did the 3 x 1min "All-out effort" intervals with 3-5 minutes in between. Perhaps by the second, correct attempt, I was spent - I sure did feel it.

After that test, I felt like I've never before. Legs hurt, and just an overall feeling of weakness.

Originally Posted by waterrockets
Being new to the power meter, you likely don't know how to test 5" and almost certainly don't know how to test 1' power. Play around with sprints some. Do shorter ones so you can do a several without messing with your workout. You'll learn to feel what's a more powerful pedal stroke. that will help out your 5" power test, just with form.

For the 1' test, you need to start off with a 100%, and stay on it, all-out, until 1:02. Every single pedal stroke needs to be as absolutely hard as possible. No pacing at all, just explode and keep clawing away at it. Fight it until the end, and go 2" longer to make sure you capture the best 60" in there.

The 1' test should ruin you for the day, and there should be no way you'd be getting an effective test at any other durations after it. You can do a real 5" test during the warmup for the 1' test, just make sure not to go longer than 7" so you can stay fresh for the 1' test.

Check out this thread to see the shape of a 1' test: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=398616
Thanks for the link. If you read my reply to Issaquatch, I think I found the reason my the results were suspect. I think I need to study these workouts more, and maybe even laminate the workout onto a small card to mount on the bike someplace for quick reference.

On a separate note/question, how do you guys do specific workouts on public roads and not get interrupted by traffic, turns, stops, etc?

I live in a pretty rural place ( less than 2K people ) and still had issues not being interrupted. Is the trainer the best scenario when it comes to precisely following a specific workout?

Thanks again guys