View Single Post
Old 08-24-10, 08:42 PM
Quel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GSmith
I keep my left pedal loose. It was set that way at the LBS during my initial fitting with shoes - I had a broken ankle recently, and the first time I unclipped from the default pedal setting, it didn't feel good. My ankle is 98% now, and it gives me no problems when I ride, but I keep the left pedal, which is ALWAYS the one I clip out of (as others have said, pick a foot and stick with it - I go left because i prefer to be leaning towards traffic instead of huddling against the curb at a red light) at low to medium-low tightness. Personally, I don't see the advantage at all to setting it high, in my opinion if you're accidentally clipping out of a pedal set low while riding, you're rotating your ankles side-to-side (laterally?) far too much. There's a reason 'floatless' pedals are the eventual goal.
I don't keep a pedal loose intentionally, but the cleat wears out quicker on the side I clip in/out on, so it's the same effect I guess.

As others said, it's a learned behavior. I learned it when I was younger and mountain biked. When you are a teenager and your choice is to clip out correctly or fall over in front of all your friends on some single track, you get good at it. Keep working.