View Single Post
Old 08-29-10, 09:24 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Gorgeous. Very much like my views yesterday from the BRP at elevations around 3000 ft. We went up to Boone to visit my daughter and my wife dropped me off where the BRP crosses Hwy 421 (around MP 265 I think). I rode over to Blowing Rock, then took Hwy 221 over to Grandfather-then rode down to approx MP 310 (Hwy 181). Did the 30 mile up and back on Hwy 181-then rode back to Blowing Rock and threw in Shulls Mill for "fun". I can see how you get hooked on riding in the lower temps and humidity. Very nice!!

The only traffic was motorcyclists screaming up Hwy 181........and Julian Price Park was slammed. That 1+ mile climb from the Park back up to Shulls Mill Rd (at my 90 mile mark) was the pits. I suspect I had a pretty long line of cars held up behind me but I was doing all I could do at that point.

I will say that almost all the cars on the BRP were well behaved yesterday-- except for several with Va tags on them. Even the Florida cars were more patient and gave me plenty of room. The Va cars sure seemed to be in a hurry and didn't mind buzzing me.......not sure what that was all about.