Old 05-29-01, 03:57 PM
JonR
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Steele-Bike
From what JonR says, he could probably give you some good advice on big city riding. My biggest worry here is watching out for the roving bands of factory farm escaping hogs.
Hmm--"Roving bands of factory farm escaping hogs." I think we have those in Kansas City--they drive pickup trucks, with their ballcaps on backwards.

Yes, I can advise on big-city riding.

I looked up Cincinnati in the good old Encarta Encyclopedia and found out that it not only has a gorgeous skyline (big color picture), but a population almost identical to Kansas City's, both in proper and in greater metropolitan area. And since I don't think Cincinnati is the third-most-dangerous, or second, or first, city, while KC ranks fourth, I am churning my mental gears into deducing that you will have fewer worries than I have.

So: unless you go through some really crummy areas after dark (not just twilight), I wouldn't worry a bit. And if you have to do that, just find a different route. Even if it's longer--you could still just commute maybe every other day. Or you might even like the longer route every day--I know nothing about your conditioning.

I don't want to sound un-American (though I often feel that way, frankly), but I think worries about hygiene on commutes are way exaggerated. Some Wash-'n-Dry towels or a washcloth and soap at your workplace ought to be more than sufficient, even after a longish commute such as yours. How conditioned we allow ourselves to be by TV advertising! People don't, in real life, get smelly nearly so easily as the soap corporations would have us believe.

Traffic? I would just about bet you money that after two weeks you will think nothing of it. You will also find yourself possessing a degree of alertness you never knew existed. This skill develops fast--it's a matter of survival! Remember that you only deal with one or two cars at a time, usually. At a four-way stop, maybe with three. Is that a big deal? Nah.

Try not to get caught between lanes of moving traffic--this can happen when you courteously move to the left of the right-hand lane so the idiot behind you can make that right turn on red, and instead he plows right on through and you're trapped. This is one of the less pleasant experiences in life, at rush hour. If in doubt, just reserve the whole lane to yourself by getting in the middle of it. I have NEVER yet had anybody complain.

If you have other reservations or questions, just post them here, and you'll get a variety of answers!

Keep us posted!