View Single Post
Old 09-01-10, 10:06 AM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm negative 1 or more for falls becasue of riding clipless on the road. I had a couple of huge advantages. I had gone clipless on my MTN bike first and I used spd pedals, where yuo rotate the heal out to clip out. The exact same motion yuo use for many downhill skis (like mine). One could say I got my learning falls on skis, by the time I was clipless on a bike it was a natural motion.

Minus one (or more) two different ways. The trivial one was a ride where at a light the girl next to me riding clipless, clippld out her right foot and was leaning left, slowly started to topple over in my direction. No problem it takes a bit to knock over 220 lbs plus.

The more serious way I am at least minur 1 is because I can remember 3 incidents where if I were riding platforms I would almost surely have touched a foot and gone down. The most dramatic was decending Sepulveda Pass when they had done recent roadwork. Many patches about 6 x 20 feet. I went over one at an angle and it was far from flush, abotu a 1" lip. I barely kept control and then hit the next one. I thought I was toast, I had not recovered enough control for a second lip. That one was flush. The rest of the way down I was at least 5 mph slower and very careful to only make 90 degree crossings. In this instance I am positive if I was not locked in I would have dabbed a foot and almost surely gone down.

A couiple of weeks later at a ride start I found out that about an hur later the LA Wheelman came throughthe same road and one of the ladies in the group went down and suffered a broken collarbone and ruptured spleen.

I'll keep my clipless.