View Single Post
Old 09-02-10, 04:57 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I picked up a bunch of yoga stretches from a former fencing coach. Fencing and cycling have a lot of commonality with flexibility requirements. I have no idea what any of these yoga positions I learned are called, but I know how to do them. All I remember is something about "dog" and "pigeon" and there might have been a "butterfly" in there, but don't ask me.

One of the very cool things about doing them is that you can get an "early warning" if something is going wrong because the positions won't feel right if something isn't totally relaxed and aligned. So, do the stretch/position again and maybe even again.

I got lazy and stopped doing this regimen multiple times per week and now I am paying the price. When I did them 3 to 4 times per week I didn't have had any flexibility/muscle tightness issues, but now I do. And I'm thinking that my fall racing season is in the dustbin because of that.