Cyclist0106
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ichitz
^^^
do those bikes get used often? I have friends with ****ty cable locks and that's all they have. But they only ride on weekends to cruise around and maybe stop for a light lunch and usually the bikes are within sight.
The bikes in my building all have krypto chains or ulocks. We don't have a specific 'bike room' it's just everyone locks up in the lobby hallway and it's really hard to walk around for peeps on the 1st floor.

maybe it also depends on what type of bikes they have. My weekend friends have hand-me-down bikes or older bikes that aren't screaming 'steal me!' while ppl in my building have vintage conversions, trek road bikes, 1 dutch bike, 1 vintage schwinn tandem (yes! a tandem in brooklyn!!), 1 foldable. Anyway, i think those bikes will attract thieves much more than my friends' bikes, thus the better locks?
From what I've seen, I'd guess that like, nobody in the building actually uses their bikes. Haha. I ride mine literally every day and I always see all the bikes except like 3-4 in the same places as the previous day. Some are collecting dust.

Speaking of types of bikes which people steal... what level of knowledge are most "pro" bike thieves at? And I know this is making generalizations... but I mean, are they looking for brands that they know have high value, or do they just see "shiny" and are therefore more likely to steal those?

I ask because there are plenty of off-the-shelf fixies like mine that look plenty "shiny" but in reality only run $300-500 bucks. Doesn't seem like they would be a high target if most thieves know what they are looking at. Or does the popularity of fixies in an urban environment make them higher priority targets?

Originally Posted by cab chaser

The only incident I have ever had with theft is someone stole a bunch of parts off my bike (including the stock fork, which is why I have the winwood) ... they did this by unscrewing hex bolts etc ... Lesson learned: fill in all your hex bolts with aluminum foil and super glue.

I like being able to carry the chain around my waist, as well.
Are you serious about the foil and glue? What if you need to... like.. flip your hub... or whatever?

And as far as carrying the chain around your waist... 1. Doesn't the weight bother you? I guess whenever you ride without it you must feel like Mercury or something. 2. The chain doesn't slip down your ass or something? I guess I just assumed the chain-belt was a messenger cliche