View Single Post
Old 09-02-10, 06:41 PM
texasdiver

Bikes: Cannondale F2000, Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and many more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually have my eye on the same bike. Looks like they have 2 choices for Ti cross bikes, an Ultegra version and a SRAM Rival version. I cross compared the bikes and the only other difference is the cranks and tires.

Ultegra version has the more expensive FSA Energy Cross crank and the more expensive Vuelta Team SL wheelset and costs $1999
SRAM Rival version has less expensive FSA Gossamer Cross crank and less expensive Vuelta Pro 32/28 spoke wheelset and costs $1695

So it would seem that Bikes Direct by packaging the SRAM Rival bike with the cheaper crank and wheelset is treating the Rival as a step down from Ultegra.

Myself, I've never ridden the double-click SRAM rival stuff. My last road bike was a Cannondale aluminum with full Ultegra and I really liked the Ultegra but was less than thrilled with the older full aluminum Cannondale frame. That is one of the main reasons I'm considering a Ti bike this time around. I'm skeptical of carbon and no carbon bikes I've seen on the market are anywhere near as versatile in terms of mountain fenders, racks, etc. for the occasional tour. Nor will any carbon frame I've ever seen take larger wheels for the rural and rough roads I find in Central Texas.

But it sounds like folks like the SRAM stuff. I'll probably save the $300 and go that route. I don't see there's really that much difference in thte cranks and the heavier wheelset that comes on the SRAM version is probably more suited to my biking style anyway.