Old 09-02-10, 07:27 PM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmb2786
i need help with neck flexibility/strength. My neck is destroyed after 3-4 hr road races. My bike fit really isn't very extreme, so assuming that's okay, can anyone recommend some stretches or exercises for the neck?
Traps stretch (take your hand and pull your head towards the shoulder on that side. switch sides.)

See my comment about the racquetball. Put one in a pillowcase. Hold open end of pillowcase. Put closed end with ball over your shoulder, lean against a wall, and position the (by pulling the case) so that the ball hits various knots/sore spots.

Another one is to lie on your back and put your thumbs or knuckles under your head at the occipital ridge. Use the weight of your head to apply pressure. It helps if someone else holds your head and applies pressure with their fingertips here. The traps should feel looser when you release.

A brachial plexus stretch might also help. Along those lines, use the racquetball to massage the pecs up by the collarbone and out near the shoulder socket.