View Single Post
Old 09-03-10, 09:24 AM
SCROUDS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecake
Hi. Sign shop employee here. I'm going to sidestep the debate about installing a sign in the first place for a moment and offer you some input.

If you want to get this made somewhere, you have a couple of options - cheapest option would be coroplast (corrugated plastic cardboard) with adhesive vinyl lettering. This should last at least four or five years. You can attach it with zip ties to a rear rack. If you want something more professional, sign shops should have a lightweight aluminum composite board - two layers of aluminum with dense foam in the middle - that's a bit more durable and easy to drill holes into; it's called di-bond aluminum in these parts. Another thing you could use is some heavier plastic - sign shops, especially those that screenprint parking tags and small signs should have sintra or styrene available, which come in many thicknesses and varying rigidity. Other shops may have a flatbed digital printer that you can print directly onto whatever surface you like.

It may be difficult to find a shop that will do this for you. Many sign companies don't bother with small, one-off orders like these, or they may charge you more than you'd be willing to pay. I'm not sure of your budget, but where I work, it's around $60 -$80 an hour for labour, plus materials. You could also ask for coroplast offcuts - many shops will give these away for free, if they're decent. You can get pre-cut vinyl lettering from Walmart as well. If you have had an election in your area recently, election signs are a free source of material.

Readability: my chart that I use at work indicates 3" letters will be visible at a maximum distance of 100', with maximum impact topping off at 50'. This is for red or black on white background. I don't have any charts with speed factored in; but keeping it short will help.

As to whether or not this will provoke motorists, I find that in many places in North America, simply being on a bike will provoke their ire. Personally, I would not do it, but I do not like confrontations, unless there is a possibility of cake afterwards.
Call me a crazy perfectionist, but I want a road sign. Metal backed, same size. I just want to buy it legally. I could have it custom made, or make it myself, but don't highway departments buy these things? Aren't they already made to MUTCD specs ready to be bought? Will those people sell one to a person? I have no idea how much they would or should run, I figure if its off the shelf can't be that bad, maybe $50?