Old 09-03-10, 09:28 AM
cab chaser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudi
Are you serious about the foil and glue? What if you need to... like.. flip your hub... or whatever?
Yeah, it will prevent thieves from removing parts from your bike. I don't use the foil and glue trick on the wheel nuts (that trick wouldn't work there anyway), which is fine because I always lock through both wheels anyhow. But yeah, having a thief steal your handlebars, brakes, fork, stem and headset will make you a little paranoid. Whenever I need to service one of these parts (rarely), it just takes about three minutes to get the foil out.

Originally Posted by rudi
And as far as carrying the chain around your waist... 1. Doesn't the weight bother you? I guess whenever you ride without it you must feel like Mercury or something. 2. The chain doesn't slip down your ass or something? I guess I just assumed the chain-belt was a messenger cliche
No, the chain weight does not bother me, and no, it won't slip down assuming you aren't wearing it too loose. You do feel slightly more "liberated" when you ride without it but honestly, it's not that significant, I think mostly because the weight is right at your hips it just doesn't feel all that different. I took a 30 mile bike ride this weekend with the chain around my waist, and it was not a problem at all. For years I used to commute back and forth to work with a chain around my waist, and it wasn't a problem. My company recently got a bike room so now I just leave a chain at work and ride without a chain on my commute, mostly because the chain *can* mess up your clothes a bit (if you remove the nylon sleeve that it comes with, which I foolishly did). I have a chain at home (for the weekends and for when I am not going to work) and a chain at work that stays at the office.