J.Wolfe
Addicted Newb

Bikes: 1974 Huffy Contestant: SOLD 1980 Fuji Royale: CURRENT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SBRDude
You don't want to be able to touch the ground when sitting on the seat - you're riding a bike, not walking! If you need to put your foot on the ground, get off the seat and stand over the frame. When sitting on the seat, keep your hips even and your leg should be almost fully extended when the pedal is at the bottom of the downstroke and your foot is level with ground. Just a slight bend in the knee. There are lots of websites and youtube videos showing how to do this. It's easier if you have a helper.
thanks ill tweak it and get it right. me being new to road bikes has not yet got comfortable with that part, wanting to be able to touch the slightest bit because it just feels safer to be honest. Itll get some getting used to but yea i see how its not correct.

Originally Posted by cappuccino911
Regarding quick releases, Google pinhead locks, there are skewers that take special key you carry on your keychain so nobody can remove the wheels without it. They have them for quick release seat posts as well though many people take an old bike chain and run it through their seat rails, down and around the seat stay . Usually people put it in an old tire tube to avoid scratching up the paint. These things will allow you to simply lock your frame up without having to lug a super long chain, remover wh3els or weave a chain through the whole bike.
yea i have quick releases on the wheels and seat so temporarily im just u locking the front wheel and frame and cable the rear wheels seat and frame. and i always lock my bike on a fence so its harder to work with opposed to it just standing against it etc. and thanks for the info on the pinhead locks ill look into that for sure.

Originally Posted by teterider
I am stunned at the nice comments on this thread. You are lucky for that.

The bike is too big for you. You have the saddle all the way down and yet since you said your legs are fully extended, there is nothing left to lower. A classic frame like this shouldn't have all that much seatpost exposed, but more than that. Based on the headtube I'd say its around a 58cm-60cm, which is too big for a 5'11" body.
stunned? i am nothing new to forums as ive been apart of car forums for over 5 years so yea typically alot of people have rude comments just because they can. but i was hoping that wasnt the case here, guess you get those with every type of forum. and as for the bike you miss read me as in the sizing, the bikes 57 cm and with the seat all the way down i can barely touch the ground with my toes if i keep it upright.