View Single Post
Old 09-09-10, 08:51 AM
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you choose is up to you in terms of confidence and comfort. I ride clip-less for both xc/am and DH. I also use flats on the DH depending on the terrain, lots of fast tech rock gardens and/or mud, I go with flats. I'll also use them if I am just out screwing around and do not need the power that being clip-less adds.

As for what my combos are, I run 420's and 5.10's when running flats. Been using the 420's for a couple years now and both sets are still going strong after a lot of hard hits against boulders and such. They are also easily rebuildable and the pins remove from underneath so you can change them out even if you smash the tops. The 420's are also one of the lightest flats out there at 430g/pair.

I use 5.10's just because I get a great deal on them but they do offer a bit more grip then most with their Stealth rubber although I would like it if they offered a stiffer sole, I find them to flexy and do not transfer power as well as a "true" cycling shoe does but then most riders would complain about them when doing a HAB.

For clipless I run the older CB Mallet M. and Shimano M122 shoes.
The older Mallets have a stiffer spindle as the spindle on the newer Mallets tends to flex a bit and I know a few riders who constantly snap them, constantly meaning once or twice a year. CB does have great customer service and replaces quickly though.
I run a xc typ shoe as it is lighter and offers a lot more stiffness in the sole then a "trail" type of shoe.

Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Soup is over rated........so is sugar.

Black and white wingtips and wellgo pedals.
Funny you mention that, I was thinking off getting some Wingtips and putting the 5.10 rubber on the bottom.