View Single Post
Old 09-09-10, 02:38 PM
Justin J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbscott
The only question is would my laptop be more secure in the Office or I could I simply get a case for it and place it tightly in the back-roller?
In other words, how versatile is the Backroller?
I think you would need to use a lap-top case or sleeve with either bag.

I've used the Ortlieb Office Bag for almost 5 months now, and I love it. I typically carry a big old IBM think pad (in a sleeve), lunch, a change of clothes, and a bunch of misc stuff like wallet, cell phone, keys, tools... It's great. I really dig Ortlieb's quick release handles. I probably top 20 lbs of stuff in there, and it doesn't seem to give me any balance issues when riding - I only notice it when walking the bike around.

Also, IIRC, the Office Bag is waterproof, whereas the Downtown Bag is water resistant. Double check that for yourself just to be sure, but I remember looking a two bags at REI and went with the one that was fully waterproof. I've been caught in at least a dozen crazy downpours this season and all my gear stayed perfectly dry.

If I had any complaints at all about the Office Bag, it would be just a couple minor ones:

1. I ended up not wanting to use the shoulder strap because the bag gets dirty en route. It gets your clothes dirty when hanging from your shoulder against your body. Even when I had the shoulder strap attached, I found myself just carrying it like a brief case. Not a problem for me since I have a very short walk after I park my bike, but it could be an issue if you have to carry the bag around all day. Eventually the shoulder strap became dead weight, so I ditched it.

2. There is an organizer panel on the inside which is far too complex with all kinds of little slits and pockets. This to me is a big problem with a lot of new bags on the market - I don't want a zillion individual pockets for every card or piece of paper I might carry. I just want 3 - 4 mesh / elastic pockets.

But, your mileage may vary. Overall, it's been a great bag and some of the best money I've spent on gear. It's like a workhorse that allows me to commute without thinking twice on days when I need to lug my laptop.