capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PLUChris
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The mail carrier did call the police and medics, so I was checked over on the spot and statements were taken from all concerned.

first thing I was told was that the incident was closed because I had left the scene too early!

They were surprised that I was even calling because, by not being there when their "investigation team" arrived on the spot, I had, apparently, absolved them of any responsibility for the incident (or something along those lines! I don't remember the exact wording they used, but it was exceptionally cold and heartless). I really did not have a clue what to say to this!

I got it together enough to point out that I had been told by the police officer on the spot that I was free to go and that the mail carrier didn't say or indicate that there was any reason for me to stay there, but the woman from the USPS just kept repeating that as far as they were concerned the incident was closed!

I'm not sure how we got there, but eventually she told me that she would send me a claim form, but that there was no obligation on their part because the incident was closed!

I've taken the bike to my lbs to get a crash-check (hopefully there will not be too much damage) and already bought a new helmet, but I'm going to have to live with the scratched glasses and throw away the clip-ons!

Hopefully I will get some more positive resonse from the USPS when I fill out the claim form!
The incident is not closed till you sign off the claim. I suggest ignoring all that hogwash, fill out the form and see what kind of settlement they offer. If It's fair, sign off and tell them that the incident is closed.

You don't have to live with any damage the USPS caused. There is a clause where you can go for treble damages if you fell you are being treated unfairly by them.

"The amount recoverable by a person who has been injured in any manner, including physical harm, property damage, or violated rights, through the act or default of another."

Give them a chance to make a fair settlement first. If they try to bully you, push back.