Old 09-15-10, 12:36 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
People are beating you up (to use your term) because you don't seem to see a problem with doing 20mph around a blind corner.
It's not a blind corner, it is a curve. And, since I've ridden through there at speed quite a few times without incident, I generally do assume it is safe to do so.

You wanted constructive advice, you've been given it, ride slow enough to be able to stop should something unexpected occur.
This is constructive advice, yes.

Yet, you continue to act as if such advice is an attack.
An attack is an attack. Advice is not, I am not "acting" like advice is an attack. Words like "ridiculous" and "insane" are not attached to meaningful advice.

Even on a MUP, doing 20mph is fine provided you have enough sight distance to anticipate obstacles. Slowing when near unpredictable pedestrians, is one of those MUP rules you keep referring to. Also, going slower around a blind corner is for your benefit, not the pedestrians, because as I have said before you could just as easily have collided with a fallen tree branch.
I just want you to admit that standing across the path at the end of a "blind corner" (it's not one, but you keep calling it that) is also dangerous behaviour. You have thus far only admitted in vague terms that they may also be responsible, but you keep harping on my speed as being the primary, if not the only, cause.

I do feel it is irrational to expect me to slow down (by as much as half my speed) for EVERY curve in the path, the would make the entire exercise of riding there utterly pointless. (it is a path in a park. It was built EXPLICITLY to be used in this manner)