Old 09-15-10, 12:38 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That may be what you are hearing because things can get clouded when you hear things through your own guilt. I get it. But no where did I blame you. I specifically stated that blame isn't the issue. See below.

Wow...so not an attack. And I am quite aware of logical fallacies and did not attempt to use any of them on you. And you conveniently did not answer any of my questions.

Of course the 7 year old was at fault. Of course the entire group was at fault for taking the whole lane. That has been established. No one is denying that. No one is saying that you are 100% at fault. But you are responsible for your behavior and your behavior alone.

Since you cannot change what others on a MUP will do. And since it is almost a given that others on a MUP will at times not follow the rules, or swerve in front of you, or be walking slowly on a blind curve, what can YOU do to avoid a similar accident in the future?

There is a stretch of road that I frequently travel in my car. At dusk there is about a 5- 10% chance that I will encounter a deer crossing the road. It is pretty heavily wooded on each side and a deer darting out will happen with virtually no time to react. Therefore, despite the fact that it is legal to drive 50 mph on this road, I slow to 30-35 mph when traveling at dusk. I put my high beams on and scan the sides of the road carefully. It doesn't matter who is at fault. Blame isn't the issue. It is about altering your behavior to mitigate risks as you are aware of them so that you avoid accident and injury either to yourself or others.

I also carry pepper spray to deal with chasing dogs. Just because it is 100% the owner's fault if their dog chases me down and bites me, doesn't mean there aren't things I can do to help avoid this fate.

The issue is that you keep harping on who is to blame not on what you can do to minimize the risks.
Read my section on the dog bites. Sure I could choose to not carry pepper spray. Sure I could choose to ride on road with known loose dogs. It is my 100% legal right to do this. If a dog attacks me it would be 100% not my fault. Been there done that. Have the rabies vaccination and scar to prove it. Being blameless doesn't make the needle sting any less.

But choosing to not alter my behavior in a relatively minor way to significantly minimize my risk of injury or death solely because I am not legally obligated to do so...is in my opinion....silly.