View Single Post
Old 09-18-10, 08:45 PM
cervelo-van

Bikes: Cervelo R3, P2C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did the trial run of this event last year with the organizers in a somewhat leisurely fashion on a hot day in just under 5 hours.

This year, my ride time was 4:18, and final time 4:21. I was riding strong but not racing, not spending too much time drafting, and finished strong. I was a bit hesitant to hammer as last year, I was hurting in the last half (due to not eating enough in the morning of the ride, and not the pace) so I wanted to ensure that I paced myself well this time. Now, I wish I had been more aggressive to finish under 4 hours. Several people I know who are GOOD cyclists bonked as they were too aggressive early on.

I had not planned on riding back, but several of my club mates were, so there I was. I didn't have proper rain gear so scrounged some up, FIrst half was nasty. Surprisingly, I was worried about my sit bones as they were hurting for the last half of Saturdays ride, but felt fine on Sunday. I was hoping for no flats, as it would be no fun at all to change one in that weather. 4 of us riding back are in our 50s, we had one youngster at 35. Truth be told. though the ride back was cold and wet, you enjoy those epic rides, more so after the fact.

At present, I have not signed for next year. One, the fees have increased, and two, I have done this ride twice, time for another challenge. Well organized though.

I did have one beef with some riders. There would be small groups of club riders passing. Inevitably, they would keep cutiing in to their right, forcing me farther and farther right till I was in danger of ending up in a ditch. There seemed to be a certain arrogance of "We are coming through, get out of our way" I have no problems with you passing, just keep your damn line. As club riders, they should know better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Smile on way to Whistler..jpg (105.8 KB, 5 views)
Going for the fi .jpg (97.9 KB, 5 views)
backfromwhistler.jpg (62.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by cervelo-van; 09-20-10 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add photos