Old 09-20-10, 08:00 AM
Talldog

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bustout
Bought a 2010 FX 7.7 Been a very long time since I rode a bike (15 yrs) Been doing a lot of research before I bought the FX 7.7 - I know it's an expensive ride to buy as my first bike, but damn... when I saw this bike at the bike shop... I was like... I want it (when I like something, I get it... bad habit)

Since i'm a newbie... I need some help.
Congratulations. Nice bike for sure. Your post is several months old but I'll chime in anyway.

1. Want a comfy seat but still look sleak with this bike. I've read from here that the Fly Tri Gel Saddle by Terry is nice.
Don't have any experience with that saddle. But saddles are a very individual thing as it depends on ones own "sit bones". That being said I like the WTB Pure V as it has those qualities that you mention, at least in my case.

2. I want to get a nice computer. Probably a wireless one since this bike has a slot for it. Cateye? which model?
I undersatnd that the Cateye models are very good. But I just buy cheap ones at Walmart for $10 or so. I have found that they work pretty good too.

3. Shoes/Pedals? I've never rode with clipless pedals before; as a first time user, is it hard? I think I want a combo pedal, because, sometimes I'll ride in areas with a lot of stop signs and lights, so I'd like to stay with a platform for that. But I want the ability to clip in when I can get out on the open road, or paved trails. Any suggestions? Not afraid to pay for quality.
Try some out on someone else's bike if you can before shelling out the cash. Clipless pedals are way over rated for recreational riding. They can cause knee problems if you are not careful. Personally, I do not like them on a hybrid. For that matter, I don't really like them on any of my bikes. I would rather use loosely fitted toe clips. But again, everyone is different.

4. 2 bottle cages. I bought the Bontrager Race Lite Cage for my down tube. I want another cage for my seat tube. From what I can tell, I don't think the Bontrager Race Lite Cage will fit on the seat tube with a cage on the down tube. My bike is 22.5 frame. Has anyone tried using 2 bike cages on this bike? What fits?
They make seat post bottle clamps. But be careful with clamping anything in a weight bearing fashion to a carbon fibre seat post. Although I think you would be OK I would err on the side of safety side and not do it. You could just buy a bottle belt. They hold a couple of bottles and also have compartments for wallets, Cliff bars, cell phones, etc.

Any other accessories I need?
Get some bike shorts or a padded liner. If you don't like the looks of the form fitting Lycra (I don't) then stick with the liner or get one of the baggy shorts with built in liner. These make a big difference to your comfort level and can even make a bad seat feel tolerable. Also, cycling gloves help with hand comfort. And don't forget a helmet above everything else.