cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaneluke
....The road she was riding on is a feeder road to the main highway of the DC area. You would have to pay me hundreds of thousands to ride on any feeder road from 5-9 am at the peak of rush hour traffic in the DC metro area ....
But wasn't this at 5am on Sunday? Hardly any traffic at that time of morning, and that might have been a contributing factor. Driver zipping down the road, half paying attention, not seeing many other cars and not expecting anything else.

Originally Posted by Zaneluke
.....I have lived in the DC metro area for 13 years now. I run and ride bikes quite a bit. I used to ride my bike to work at 5am. It is not twilight at 5am, it is dark. The people here hate bicycles. I have never lived in an area where the drivers are as mean and agressive as the DC metro area. It is the main reason why I did not buy a tri bike. I did not want to ride on the roads because it is flat out dangerous....
I think part of it is a Maryland problem. I've been biking around here for over 30 years, and generally find Maryland drivers to be much more aggressive than DC or Virginia drivers.
But I disagree with you on the rest. To me, this seems to be a generally bike friendly area.
I enjoy both roads and trails. Admittedly, I do most of my riding on weekends, but tonight I've got no qualms about commuting home on route 29/Lee Highway.