Old 09-25-10, 08:25 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by o0adam0o
Ive always felt that when i die it will be in a freak accident. Dunno why... im a pretty careful person.. i dont even get on rides at theme parks. Ive been commuting 12mi a day 3 times a week for the past 2months and as im ridding sometimes i think to myself how vulnerable i am on the road. So i make sure to pray everyday and never take risks no matter how fun they appear... lame i know I stop at all ligts and stop signs even if there no cars, cuz i want to get a habit of following traffic laws.

So i would say YES.. im affraid of getting killed while commuting... but if im affraid, then why do i continue to do it?

However, I do hate the fact that i have yet to crash on my bike... i want to get that part over with! Has anyone here not had a single crash? (ie.. ran into something.. fell off.. etc)
You have succumbed to the Fear of the Modern Cyclist, ie, "I ride a bike, so something MUST happen to me."
It is a rampant concept in this age, and isnt exclusive to cycling. Fear is everywhere, it seems, doom lurking around every corner.

But I am 53 years old and have never had an accident that even came close to a mortal event. The few that I have been involved in, many years ago, were decidedly my own fault.
I have not even come close to an accident in more years than I can count, since then.

- I ride assertively and I watch cars.
- I use a mirror, and I remain aware of them at all times.
- I expect they DO NOT see me.
- I'll use my brakes if I need to and dont stand on my "rights to the road" where my safety is concerned.
- I take the lane as a way to force awareness upon approaching cars - I don't care if they honk or get pissed.
- I dont ride with MP3's and ear buds, music overpowering the sounds of the road.
- I keep away from MUP's and sidewalks whenever I can.
- I keep my bike well maintained - my stuff works.
- I ride a lot, all over, under all sorts of conditions, so as to keep my skills sharp.
- I consider myself and my bike as a vehicle, just like a car, and operate that way.
- I know that cycling is far safer than most any other activity I can undertake. I take comfort in this.

I dont want to sound pretentious in all this. I know my number can come up, like anyone else's.
But I stopped riding in Fear of the Reaper. I prefer to Ride with Joy.