Old 09-26-10, 07:36 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I have mixed feelings about the updated Salsa Casseroll. I do like the new color, the taller head tube and the front rack, but I'm not as excited as some about the cantilever brakes. I like the long reach caliper brakes on mine.
Interesting range of responses on the Salsa Blog (see link above) about the Casserroll. Lots of folks agree w/you on the cantilevers.

I got cantilevers on my Boedie, which was built to for similar duties. Mainly due to wanting to run bigger tires w/fenders. I looked hard at the old Casserroll; I think if I were shopping today I'd give the new one a very serious look.

Cantilevers are a little tricky to get set up, but once they're dialed in they work fine for me. I think you could always switch to v-brakes if you want, though you need one of those converters (a Travel Agent?) to mix v-brakes with road levers. My old Trek 520 (a 2007 model or something) had that set-up.