View Single Post
Old 09-27-10, 05:20 PM
vjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'm going to disagree...a De Rosa that Merckx rode is a De Rosa, whether it's more valuable and desirable or not. A Falcon with Merckx's decals is a Falcon. A Serotta with Huffy's badge is a Serotta. To me, this thread is about Eddy Merckx bikes...meaning bikes built in the Merckx factory or designed by folks who work in/for the Merckx factory. As Longbeach said above, the litespeeds badged Merckx are Merckx bikes. Falcons with a Merckx logo are Falcons.

I would define it as Merckx bikes designed by, or built in, the Merckx factory. A Colnago is a Colnago, a Falcon is a Falcon and a Merckx is a Merckx. I suppose we'd have to ask the OP what he intended, but I'd bet that when he said show your Merckx bikes, he means show your Eddy Merckx factory built/designed bikes.

I'm probably being a snob, but calling a badged Falcon a Merckx is an insult to a Merckx and is a semantic game. Would you consider a Murray labeled Serotta a Murray? If you sold it on ebay would you just call it a Murray? You would call a Serotta with a Murray decal a Serotta because it has more cache. Calling the Falcon a Merckx is an attempt to give it a cache it doesn't really have. It's a Falcon with a cool label.

I don't call my Raleigh Professional a Raleigh Team...even though it says team on it.
What about Masi? They are/were not built by the Masi family but contracted except for a select few, same with Colnago until he set up his own factory.

A Murray built by Serotta is just that, A Serotta built Murray and it is worth significantly more than a Serotta.

But I would agree that it is largely semantics, and the OP is probably referring to EM factory bikes, none of which were built by Eddy's hands...