Old 09-29-10, 10:32 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I crashed on a charity ride hard enough to black out briefly. At least I think I did, because I remember the start of the crash, and then the next thing I knew another cyclist was looking down at me and asking if I was okay. Had to take him a minute or so to get to me, so I believe I blacked out. The EMTs patched me up and asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. My BP was low, but I didn't feel that bad and so I declined. When I finally saw my primary care physician about two weeks later, because of lingering soreness/stiffness in my neck and shoulder, she was aghast that the EMTs asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital after hitting my head hard enough to black out. How could I possibly evaluate what was needed? She thought it should have been automatic, and she sent me to get CT scans "stat". The brain scan was negative; the neck scan found a thoracic lesion unrelated to my accident. So was the EMT decision appropriate? My brain was okay, so maybe, but the way the decision was made was questionable.

Factors influencing medicine in the US have caused an odd combination of needless tests, while at the same time needed tests are sometimes -not- being performed. It certainly seems to the layman that, having been unconscious for so long, further testing was warranted in your case. The public perception is that concussions warrant observation and tests for damage. Of course, it's possible more tests were done than you were able to remember.