Old 10-01-10, 04:24 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
Granted... but I'm sure there are guys as big as or larger than me mashing pedals as we speak without suffering similar problems. In fact, there's an entire sub-forum here that's dedicated to them. Not to mention fully loaded touring rigs that are called upon to climb hills all day long. I don't know what to call it other than a design flaw. After all... no other bike that I'm currently riding, or that I've ever ridden, has displayed the same problem. BTW the cog failed while mashing on level ground in front of my house and I wasn't asking the cog to do anything I wouldn't ask any of the components on any of my bikes to do.

I'm not ready to give up just yet; I've read way more positive testimonials about belt drive than I have negative. Like many new technologies there are going to be some bugs to sort out. I'm sure the designers of the original dérailleurs also faced many hurdles getting their design to work.
Well, snapped chains and belts might be expected, but these are newer parts that are failing. More information to come i'm sure!