Old 05-30-01, 02:09 PM
JonR
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by William Karsten
This is my first post so I'm trying to make a grand entrance.

[...]
My cost savings (not including maintenance and tires) by rideing is just at 5 dollars a day. If I ride 4 days a week (wednesday being supply day and rest day), it adds to 20 a week, and 80 a month.. Probalby more[...]
What a great post. I don't know if I would have tried again, after that first ride. You sound like a true commuter! (Sorry, there's that label again, but I like it.)

I don't doubt that you'll end up saving more than the $80 a month. Anyway, you'll be getting benefits that money alone can't buy.

For the flats: have you put Mr. Tuffy tape inside your tires? It adds a little weight, but if you look at the tapes after a couple of hundred miles, you'll see that they've saved you a bunch of flats. The only things that give me flats with those tapes, are big jagged pieces of glass, big sharp nails from construction, and (once) some kind of devilish sharp tack that had a flat head the size of a nickel, that looked designed for the purpose. In short, things I could usually see and avoid.

What do you do for light now? Do you often have to ride at night?

Reading your post brought back memories and gave me a boost: I think I'll have to jump on (well, straddle is more like it) one of my bikes shortly and ride out into that drizzle!