Old 10-03-10, 12:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
geez, already a month that I have put off replying to this.

First of all, thankyou for the replies to my comments, and secondly, with a saddle like this, I wasnt going to try anything that would cut or slice it before really thinking it through.

Mea culpe--in thinking about this and why this edge was bothering me, where it wasnt before, I finally realized what had occured. As the saddle became more and more broken in, I noticed that it was slightly lower than before when newer--I guess this is the one aspect of a Brooks that is diff than a reg seat, that as the leather gets broken in to your bones and keester, it does in fact "sag" a bit--Im not talking a lot, just a bit.

In my attempt to adjust things, I rose the seat a bit, but also experimented with the angle , to a slight front up to see if it worked for me as others have said. In doing so, I have to loosen a "main" bolt in the seat stem, then loosen or tighten another bolt that micro adjusts the angle---the hitch is that you must loosen the main one first, and in doing so, I realized finally that I had moved the seat back on the rails somewhat, but didnt really realize it. When you adjust the angle, you tighten the main bolt back, but in doing so, the angle changes slightly so its a bit of doing it a few times--in doing this I did move the saddle fore and aft and wasnt sure where it was before.

I am pretty certain that this caused me to be more forward in the saddle, ie not being in the main part of the saddle, and so the edge was a bit more under me than before. To add to this, I was doing a 6 day tour with my wife, and she is not very fast, so I was riding too easily for me, with therefore more weight on my bum, and not pushing back more like i usually do (which would move my keester more to the rear of the saddle)

do you guys follow?

If I have one regret with these saddles, is that they dont have the little painted on lines on the rails, as I have on my other seats, and which I find very useful for keeping track of when you move the seat to know whre you are as you make an adjustment.

I since moved it back to a more forward position, and all is fine again.

I may try to think of ways to paint on little white reference lines, cuz I dont want to have to go back and forth again if ever the saddle has to be take off.

I remember when I first put this on my bike, I was too back and realized I was on the rivets, so now I have experienced a Brooks on the rivets AND too far forward---I am a bit slow, but at least I finally have figured this out and gotten the sweet spot for it, and with about 1200K on the seat now, I like it more than ever.

ps, I did not over proofhide it, and have been very careful with plastic bags in the rain.

thanks again for the comments, it didnt really make sense to me that for the first while the crease didnt bother me, to being a problem, but with family stuff going on etc etc, I just didnt pay enough attention to my seat adjustments (plus the "too easy" days in the saddle that didnt help)

Even with the other seats I have used, small adjustments make all the diff, but this time I was pretty dumb by not being careful. And while a Brooks does "change" as it breaks in, I still really like it. I find it very hard if not impossible to convey the comfort of a Brooks to other people, but realize that they do require one to be more attuned and careful to its position and obviously, to how one treats it.