Old 10-03-10, 06:11 AM
Powerarranger
Arranger Power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a symmetrical Supernova E3 Pro and will agree with tacreamer that there is significant spill to the sides. I aim the light so that the core of the beam falls roughly 15 feet in front of the bike, and the spill is adequate to see the sides of a dark MUP at night. In traffic, the Supernova is easily seen by motorists - I've had them wait for me to pass before they pull out from a side street, thinking I'm a motorcycle! I can still see the beam on brightly lit roads, although it's more to 'be seen' at that point. I also run the Supernova taillight as well.

I've read that the blue cast from LED lights like the Supernova and others may be difficult for older eyes to see by. I'm pushing 50 and have no trouble, but I've heard that it's a concern. A halogen light might be a better option for you. If possible, experiment with flashlights in your back yard (LED and incandescent) and 'see' what works best.

FWIW, the E3 is VERY efficient with the SON. I leave it on even in the daytime and there's no noticeable drag at all. I like it so much, I'm trying to save up for the exact same setup for my other bike.