Old 10-04-10, 03:33 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If loaded touring, I would advise against SS/FG at all; you will want and use as many gear ratios as your bike can handle.
+1000000000

as someone who has ridden fixed, SS, and done my share of touring, i agree wholeheartedly. what you do have going for you is that houston is super flat (as you know), but an extra 50 lbs of gear on the bike makes a completely different ride. when on flat ground, the weight works somewhat to your advantage, provided there isn't a strong wind. you can get some good momentum going and will want a higher gear to keep going on flats or after a downhill. however it works against you heavily on even the slightest incline.

as for riding fixed, that is even worse. there is no ****ing way that you are going to have a gear ratio that allows you to climb a hill with all the extra gear and not completely spin out on the back side. i generally climb at about an 8-10mph pace on tour, and i descend those hills at 30-35mph.

once again, this is all based on what "touring" is to you, OP. we need more information.