View Single Post
Old 05-12-05, 02:14 PM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, you planning to ride Shiner Bash?

I'm 43, in Houston. You're going to suffer, and you very well may sag-out and not complete the ride. What do you mean by "ok" shape? If you're new to biking, let's ask this - how long does it currently take you to run 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 km?

I'm being hard on you because I help on medical support for MS150 and various runs, and I see people do DAMN STUPID things which exact a price, up to and including death. It's no fun to have to hike into the woods to retrieve the body of a guy who in the past six months had open-heart surgery and was running against doctor's advice. True story, that was a bad day. For him, I mean. I got over it (twisted my ankle though at the time... damn).

When was your last cardiac stress test? Your last echocardiogram? What's your body mass index? What's your cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure? When was your last complete physical? Family history of heart disease? Diabetes?

Think! You're 46, not 26 !!!

Originally Posted by Icemanmcq
I bought a new bike about a month ago, I've had a couple of 10 mile rides and a 20 mile ride, I'm 46 and in ok shape, I'm riding a 90 mile tour with rest stops every 10 to 15 miles.. Any advice on nutrition before, during and after the ride and do you think I will survive...lol
Any help would be appreciated.. Oh the ride is in Texas, should be partly cloudy, around 85 degree