Old 10-08-10, 09:08 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My night use bikes both have dynamo hubs and both dynamo powered headlights and taillights installed. The primary bike also has a Dinotte 400R battery powered taillight mounted which is bright enough so you can definitely tell if it stops blinking. The second dynamo hub bike runs a PBSF or Radbot 1000 taillight.

I also just installed a dynamo hub on my Big Dummy and have a dynamo light set on order for it.

I like dynamo lights as unless the wiring is damaged or there is a electrical failure you are independent of batteries and their discharging on you unexpectedly. As most battery taillights that run AAA batteries do not have voltage regulation the light starts dimming shortly after new batteries are installed, particularly if running alkaline batteries. If using NIMH batteries the light is never at full brightness due to the lower voltage of NIMH batteries compared to fresh alkaline ones.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/