View Single Post
Old 10-14-10, 11:58 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
How timely this forum is. I'll have some bike-y issue come up, formulate a question about it, and find that the very subject is being discussed. (Of course I only have these questions because I started reading C&V in the first place!)

So I just picked up a Wright's saddle for $8. Have to look hard at those pics on CL sometimes. It seems to be in good shape, the leather all intact and smooth, but it is hard as a rock. I did a light Proofide treatment on top and bottom and let it sit in the hot sun after doing so. It looks prettier now but still seems just as hard. I have to admit I have not ridden it yet; maybe that would help, but I'm leery of entrusting my hiney to the equivalent of a 2x4 for two hours. Any thoughts?
I think you'll be fine. It's a hard leather saddle; it's supposed to be hard. It should be comfortable from the beginning. If it becomes more comfortable over time, it will be mostly from your getting accustomed to it; the saddle's shape may change a little over the years, which is fine, but not to be encouraged.

I'd love to pick up a rock-hard Wrights saddle for $8. They're great saddles.

Give it some time; if you don't like it, you can easily sell it again.

Last edited by rhm; 10-14-10 at 12:03 PM.