Old 10-15-10, 03:05 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Unagidon
So the Dura Ace wheels are wider? That's good.

So now, I think I'm off the Zipps. Yes, they look very cool, but for the extra cash, I don't think it delivers anything significant I can't enjoy in the others.

Kim - you're saying the DT 240's spin better. Yet overall, you recommend the DA wheels. So can I take it to mean that the differnence is slight, and the DA wins in the other factors you listed?

Pcad - I love how opinionated you always are. Just out of curiousity, have you tried out the other wheels?

Seems like quite a few like the HED C2 + 240 combo too. If the DA is also slightly wider, would you still pick the HEDs?

Thanks.
Yes, the DT Swiss 240s spin forever--remember, they are upgraded to Enduro Zero Ceramics. Nevertheless, this does not lead to a better wheel on the road. It's more like a parlor trick if you guys/gals are having a pissing contest about who's wheels spin the longest.

Therefore, given the conditions you ride in and how you ride, the DA wheels would better suit you IMO.

First, they have a low spoke count but use straight pull spokes at high tension and have arguably the widest flanges on a mass-produced wheel. This makes for a stiff yet low spoke wheel (which will help in the windy conditions).

I don't even know why you are considering Zipp 101s. You might as well just get proper Zipps if you want the aero benefits considering the cost of the 101s.

Back to the DA: They are the lightest option out of the choices you listed. I think mine weighed around 1420 grams (need to go back and check) with supplied rim tape.

All of the wheels you mentioned should be fairly low maintenance. I mean, how often do you need to repack bearings? Like every 7 years?

Lastly, the DA clinchers are the cheapest option. Unless your "buddy" is selling you a new wheel on the HED DT combo, DA is DA--the name speaks for itself.

Really, it just comes down to budget and what you think looks best so that you actually end up riding it.

Oh yeah, and if you are still not sold, the DA wheels come with arguably the best skewers ever invented aside from the Campy original.

Last edited by kimconyc; 10-15-10 at 03:08 PM.