Old 10-15-10, 05:02 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
I don't even know why you are considering Zipp 101s. You might as well just get proper Zipps if you want the aero benefits considering the cost of the 101s.

Unless your "buddy" is selling you a new wheel on the HED DT combo, DA is DA--the name speaks for itself.
Thanks kimconyc.

I considered the Zipps due to positive reviews, the new Zipp hub supposedly much better, and looks damn hot. The price, @ $900, is the most expensive.

The HED C2 + DT240 is a Handspun pre-built wheelset. So at around $650, it offered the wide rims of Zipp, with a safer (since old Zipps hubs doesn't seem so hot) if not arguably better hub. So, save $250 and get most of the Zipp benefits.

The DA - well, I haven't seen any negative reviews of them yet. I had a chance to talk to an LBS employee running RS 80's and he loves those. He said he's riding those way more than his 404's because they roll smoother. That's what brought me to looking into Shimano wheels, and immediately to Dura Ace because this will be a b-day present for myself, so I'm not going to sweat too much about the cost vs. RS 80's. Obviously, I'm after the bling factor too.

I think I'm pretty much talking myself into the DA's. The lightness is a big bonus / consideration.

Any more comments / experience to share, please post. Appreciate it!