Old 10-19-10, 01:26 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by liferider
I have been lifting weights off and on for the past 10 years or so and I'm trying to get out of it as much as possible so I can get on my bike more. Right now I am lifting 3-4 days a week and only riding twice, if I'm lucky.

Here's the problem: I'm pretty worn out on lifting, but I can't stop. It's probably a bit of an addiction and mental issue. I fear that if I stop, I will lose too much muscle and strength. I guess I'm afraid of getting skinnier. Right now I am 6'5 and 205 lbs (not exactly a beefcake ). If I stop lifting weights, I will surely drop below 200, probably 190 or less. I know it's a mental thing, but I don't want to be a skinny guy again. I was in high school (I'm 31 now) and I hated it.

I've told myself that there's no point to keep a lot of muscle if I want to bike a lot...it's a little counter-productive. I definitely enjoy cycling more right now and envision myself getting out a lot and having fun even over the winter months, but in reality, if I don't break away from the gym it won't happen.

So basically, I know lifting is a bit of a waste for me right now but it's tough to stop. Make sense? Anyone go through a similar phase that could offer any suggestions?
...and you want to bike more?