marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again, and thanks for the replies.
In answer to your queries, safariofthe mind:
1. Budget is limited. I may be able to free up $800 or so, which is why I'm looking at season-end clearouts and considering a couple of bikes that come fully outfitted: TR-101, Sojourn and Aurora.
2. I have a Specialized Expedition Sport, a good, basic comfort hybrid, outfitted with a decent rack and midsized rear panniers. I also own some ultralight camping gear, so I'm covered for sleeping accommodations, pretty much.
3. & 4. I want the bike as an all-round ride, good for commuting, errands, shopping and all-day jaunts in and out of town. I'm not contemplating any long, unsupported tours. I'm more interested in weekenders, inn-to-inn tours, and trips to and from our cottage, which is about 30 miles from home. Around here, routes range from dead flat to gently rolling, to very hilly. I'm a fan of the flatter parts, and prefer rail trails and back roads -- paved and gravel -- to highways and city streets.
5. I'm 5'11", about 185, in decent shape and sound health. I'm 60 years old, so that's a limitation, I guess.
I have yet to do any real touring. Sightseeing yes, touring no. I now have the free time to tour, something I've been thinking about for quite some time. I love to ride, and I love my current bike, which has helped to transform me from a 260-pound couch spud into a fairly lean, fit and active codger. I am planning some trial runs using my current bike, but I believe a touring rig would suit my plans -- and even my current needs -- better.