Old 10-22-10, 09:17 AM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
Just as a point of reference, if you decide you like the Jamis Aurora -- I just picked one up (new 2009) from this shop out west for $650 (took some wrangling to get down to that price -- they are listed on the site at $699 -- still a great price). Should have the bike on Monday. They have them in 55, 57 and 59cm.
http://www.bicyclebananasstore.com/2...a09_aurora.htm
Wow, that's a heck of a deal you got there. The Aurora is a thousand-dollar item here. My hope is that a local shop will be willing to cut me a somewhat similar deal on one of the bikes on my list. Being in Canada, I'd have to pay shipping, duty and brokerage fees if I ordered from the States, so I think an LBS is probably still my best bet.
safrariofthemind: Point well taken on outfitting my old bike. I already have some of the stuff you mention. I'm thinking I can outfit a new bike from some of the stuff I already have. I believe I'm ready to "graduate" to a tourer anyway.
One question. Would proper touring tires make a big difference in the efficiency of my current bike? It has fat, hemispherical comfort tires now.

Last edited by marmot; 10-22-10 at 09:26 AM.