Thread: Knee Pain
View Single Post
Old 10-23-10, 05:36 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
I've been suffering from knee pain for years. I've had orthoscopic surgery on both knees, and my left one is shot. You can not only feel, but actually hear the grinding of bone against bone, as the cartilege is gone. An MRI this past spring verifies I need a new knee. But the orthopedic surgeon told me to keep up the bicycle riding (either bike or swimming, as both keep body weight off the knees) and come back when the prescription strength Tylenol no longer knocks down the pain and swelling.

Yesterday on a trail ride, I noticed a new vibration and grinding coming from the left front side of my left knee. This is something new, and so far only happened while cranking along on my bike.

Question I have is, if I go ahead with a knee replacement, will I have to be off my bike so long that I lose all my conditioning, and have to start over from scratch - riding to the corner and back and working up from there?
Well, it seems that they are very anxious to start PT right away. About the first thing they seem to do in PT (I've been there 3 times) is put you on a stationary bike for 10 or 15 minutes. I confess, I cheat, and once the stationary bike feels OK, I get on my regular bike. Couple of weeks (this from arthroscopy, not knee replacement - yet).

- Ed