View Single Post
Old 10-23-10, 07:06 PM
mrz80
Luddite

Bikes: 2000 Maruishi frameset w/Ultegra for the pavement, Trek 6000 for offroad and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got up this morning and unlike the last couple years, it was clear and sunny! Cold, though; stuck a t-shirt under the jersey, donned the arm-warmers, downed some Cheerios and Raisin Bran and headed off to the Santa Fe ride.

First thing of note, someone's wearing a tutu. Never a dull moment around here!

Gainesville Cycling Club Grand Poobah for Life (and official event starter) Chandler Otis, who cannot resist hamming for the camera.

Remember what I said earlier about never a dull moment? Yes, that is, indeed, a bamboo tandem.

Finally out of town and into some scenery and gorgeous weather

(oops, got a finger in the shot) First rest stop, at High Springs. What a mob!

(bit of camera shake there) I'm feeling pretty good at this point; just shucked a t-shirt out from under the jersey, but I'm not quite ready to lose the arm warmers yet.

Shortly after leaving High Springs, I figured out I'd fallen in with a bunch of hammerheads; instead of the 15-17 I was aiming for, this lot was cooking along at 18-22. Oh well, let's see how long I last... made it until just before the second rest stop, when the cafe racers stopped to wait for someone and I forged on with a slower group we'd just caught up to. Ahhh, that's better!

Second rest stop, in Hague. Just a few more miles to the finish and lunch! Didn't stay here long, despite the presence of some really good homemade frosted peanut butter fudge. The wind picked up bigtime just after getting out onto 441, and I slowed to a crawl until a the bunch I'd been with rolling into the stop caught back up with me; I jumped back on and clung for dear life until we got out of that easterly wind.

Self portrait at the finish, elated to have gotten back up to 18 or so for the last mile or two. Yes, that Giro helmet is probably older than some of the readers of this forum.

I had someone snap a pic of me collapsed against the side of the building, but he said I needed one hoisting the bike for the sake of cheap dramatics. I obliged, surprised my arms didn't fall off from picking the fool thing up.

LUNCHTIME!!!!! BBQ via Adam's Rib, and PizzaVito provided hallowed Italian food disks.

The final tallly - 55 miles at 17.2MPH. I'm pleased at how well I did after falling in with the fast crowd. Next event's the Ride for Your Life metric century in Bartow on 11/13. Can't wait!